The municipality of Zvezdara is located in the southeast part of the city and it is one of the central municipalities of Belgrade.
On the territory of the municipality of Zvezdara, in Volgina street, there is a famous Astronomical Observatory. It is of a great value for the progress of astronomy, physics, meteorology and seismology in Serbia. It is located at the height of 248.6 meters and represents the highest point of the city. The astronomical observatory also represents the most significant project of Jan Dubovy, an architect of Czech origin and one of the founders of the Serbian modern architecture. The building is protected by the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments. The name Zvezdara is derived from the word zvezda, which in Serbian language means a star.
Immediately following the completion of the observatory, the afforestation of the whole area had begun. One of the main reasons was to protect the building and the whole city from the strong and infamous Belgrade wind known as košava . Nowadays, that huge green city park is known as Zvezdarska šuma( Zvezdara forest).
The New Cemetery (Novo groblje) in Ruzveltova St. holds impressive memorial, cultural, historical and artistic values and there is a large number of prominent figures buried here. Considering all of that, it is only natural that, in 1983, it has been added to the Central Register of Cultural Heritage of the Republic of Serbia.
Recognized as an Open Air Museum due to its historical and memorial resources, its refined and highly rated artistic achievements, but also as an evidence of the intangible cultural heritage related to the culture of death, this memorable toponym gained its place among the prestigious members of the Association of Significant Cemeteries in Europe (ASCE) in 2004, and it is also a part of the European Cemeteries Route.
A most special significance is given to this complex trough the existence of the ossuaries and the military graveyards, respectively. The first memorial monument of the New Cemetery was the Ossuary from the Serbian-Turkish wars 1876-1878, built in 1907. It is placed in the vicinity of Sveti Nikola church (St. Nicholas Church). There is also a Serbian, as well as a Russian Ossuary, a French and an Italian WW1 military graveyard, a Graveyard of the perished citizens of Belgrade, and the fighters in occupied Belgrade from 1941-1944, as well as the Austro-Hungarian, Bulgarian, German and English WW2 military graveyards.
This has become the final, resting place of many distinguished statesmen, artists, scientists and nation's benefactors, from when it was founded in the late 19th century, to the present day. At the cemetery, there are also two distinctive areas known as the Alley of the Greats and the Alley of the Distinguished Citizens, where some of the most important personalities in the history of Serbia are buried.
Artistic and historical value of the New Cemetery exceeds the national and state boundaries - its importance is universal and it enriches the European cultural heritage.
The Boulevard of King Alexander (Bulevar Kralja Aleksandra)
It is not only the longest street in Belgrade (12km) but also the oldest active street in this part of Serbia. Via MIlitaris, the road traced by the Romans, later called The Constantinople’s road, it was the major route on the Balkan Peninsula, connecting SIngidunum (Belgrade) and Constantinople (Istanbul).
Nowadays, it is one of the favorite shopping areas in Belgrade where some important cultural and historical monuments and institutions could also be found.
Before WW2, this kafana (tavern), the hub of the officers, professors and clerks, lent its name to the whole neighborhood, which then became known as “Lion”.
King Aleksandar Karadjordjević’s endowment to the students of the Belgrade University is the oldest students’ dorm in Belgrade. Before WW2, it was the seat of the Masons’ Regular Great Lodge of Yugoslavia, established by industrialist Djordje Vajfert.
At the time of the Social Federal Republic of Yugoslavia (SFRJ), it was renamed “Lola“. Even today, this building is one of the most elegant student dorms in Belgrade, well equipped after its renovation. It is recognized as an edifice of great importance due to its architectural, urban and historical value, and its authenticity.
At the Zvezdara Municipality, there are many Orthodox and Catholic churches and clusters such as:
The Churches of Sveti Ilija, Sveti Nikola, Sveti Lazar, respectively, the Church of Pokrov Presvete Bogorodice, the churches of Velikomučenice Nedelje and Sveti Antun, respectively, and the Cluster Isusove male sestre.
Numerous monuments and historical sights are also located in the Zvezdara Municipality, dedicated to great entities, such as, Vuk Karadžić, Aleksandar I Obrenović, Ćirilo and Metodije, Puškin and also to the students of the VI Belgrade Gymnasium.
Buses: 65, 77, 79
Trolley buses: 28, 40
Trams: 5, 6, 7, 14